It’s no secret that I love eggplants. It’s also no secret that eggplant is not exactly a pretty vegetable once you cook it. Especially when I photograph it – so I’m gonna need you to trust me with this one.
Rooted in the ancient Azerbaijani tradition of cooking up summer vegetables (particularly eggplants, tomatoes, peppers, and onions) together into stews, relishes, and spreads, this one is wonderful atop toast and pasta.
Here’s the recipe:
Eggplant, Sweet Pepper, and Tomato Relish
- 3 bell peppers, cubed
- 5 medium-sized unpeeled slender eggplants, or 2 big round ones, cubed
- 5 small tomatoes, cored and cubed
- 2 onions, chopped
- vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup white wine
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup plain yogurt (optional)
1. Heat oil in a dutch oven and saute the onions until lightly browned.
2. Deglaze with the wine.
3. Add more oil to the pot. Add the rest of the vegetables and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
4. Remove the cover and simmer for the additional 30 min or until most of the liquid has evaporated, stirring frequently to prevent the mixture from burning,
4. If desired, stir in yogurt after the mixture has cooled (so that yogurt doesn’t curdle).
5. Serve cold over toast or warm over cooked noodles.
Looking for more eggplant recipes? Check out these :