We now have a a fire ring!

Jacob built it for me after our recent camping trip, where I found myself rather enamored with campfire cuisine. The best part of camping, if you ask me!

Besides being able to build fire rings, he is also extremely, unbelievably good at cooking things in and over fire.

I love my husband.

One of the first things he prepared in there were these wonderful hobo packs, which are nothing more than cubed vegetables wrapped in tin foil, topped with butter, and buried in the coals to bake. Here they are below:

This is what they looked like when they were done. He made these with potatoes, beets, onions, and garlic scapes, sprinkled with salt and topped with two tablespoons of butter per a 2-cup package.

Isn’t it a beautiful sight? We served them with campfire-grilled rib-eye steaks, which we had cut up into bite-sized pieces so we could eat everything without a knife around the fire outside.

The kids really liked them, too.

The beauty of this is of course in the fact that you can put a mixture of any number of things in there – mushrooms, carrots, rutabagas, garlic, even ground beef – the world is your oyster!

Just be sure to use a double layer of tin foil to prevent your hobo packs from cooking too fast and burning too much by providing an extra barrier between the food and the fire. Note also that it is better to overcook rather than undercook them – while slightly-burned vegetables are soft and nicely caramelized, undercooked vegetables will be crunchy and bland.

Campfire food is something I am just learning about. If you have campire favorites you wish to share, go ahead and shoot! I am always looking for new ideas, especially in the dessert department!

1 Don July 7, 2012 at 9:00 am

I like the fire “man” in the top photo.

2 Shannon July 7, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Do a google search on “Mountain Pies”. There’s even a Mountain Pie Facebook group. A pie iron is an awesome campfire accessory!

3 Kat July 10, 2012 at 5:15 am

Yum! We’re in the middle of remodeling our kitchen and I’m running out of ways to cook meat & veggies on the grill. Have to give these a try.

4 Jackie Lindner July 10, 2012 at 9:31 am

One of the best campfire meals I made were chicken breasts wrapped up in individual foil packets with rice and chopped onion, butter, salt and pepper, with a little liquid added, and cooked over the fire on top of the grill, not in the fire. They were delicious.

5 Sofya July 10, 2012 at 9:34 am

Cooked rice, yes? It is a lot like the Azeri pilaf I make just not over fire.

6 Meg December 18, 2012 at 9:28 am

I second the notion about pie irons. I’ve used store-bought croissant dough, and I’ve used bread. The croissant dough means you don’t have to butter the inside of the pie iron. If you use bread, you’ll want to remember to butter the sides of the bread that will touch the irons. Otherwise, it’s next to impossible to get them out without breaking open. We took advantage of the peaches we pulled ripe off my boyfriend’s sister’s trees on a visit to Maine. Absolutely perfect.

You can do hamburger patties in the hobo packets, too. We do that when we take the kids camping. Put the patty in foil, with an onion slice on top and underneath it. The onions keep the meat from drying out, and add extra flavor.