No-Machine 5-Minute Ice-Cream

June 28, 2012

in Appetizers & Misc., Desserts, DIY & Crafts, Recipes

food_processor_ice-cream

This incredibly-delicious berry ice-cream can be made without an ice-cream maker in a food processor or blender in five minites flat.

There are many good reasons to add this ridiculously quick and simple recipe to your collection.

Maybe you think that making ice-cream at home is more trouble than buying it.

Maybe you hate unitaskers.

Or think that ice-cream makers are bourgeois.

Or are impatient.

Me, I’m all of the above. Still, when it’s 90 degrees and my kitchen is overflowing with fresh berries, I begin to wonder what life would have been like if I could churn all that summery goodness into a dairy-rich, cold treat.

Enter this recipe.

Everything about this recipe is right:

It requires no ice-cream maker.

It relies heavily on frozen fruit.

It only takes five minutes to prepare.

It is extremely, excruciatingly delicious.

It leaves people endlessly impressed.

But don’t take my word for it. Find out today.

Here is how:

Start with some frozen berries. You can use a 10-oz package of boughten berries, or freeze your own on a cookie sheet. I liked the strawberry version best, but raspberries, which are currently ripe in the garden, are equally amazing, and I can’t wait to try it with blackberries!

Aren’t they pretty?

Throw the berries into a food processor…

Add granulated sugar, and process until the fruit is finely chopped.

With the blade running, pour heavy cream into the opening in the lid and process just until the mixture resembles ice-cream.

If you have processed the mixture too long and ended up with a rather soupy-looking product, don’t fret! Pour everything into a container and stick it the freezer, where it will reach the right consistency by the next day.

Ask me how I know.

Whichever the case, it will be perfect after it firms up. Like this:

And you can freeze and refreeze it without compromising the texture.

Here is the recipe:

Looking for more quick, easy, and cooling summertime desserts? Try these:

2-Ingreident Chocolate Mousse (used here as a filling for a cake but also spectacular on its own)

5-Minute Chocolate Mousse

Quick Raspberry Mousse/Fool

Café Glacé (Russian Coffee with Ice-Cream)

Heck, why don’t you browse the entire dessert section while you’re at it.

1 Eva June 28, 2012 at 1:19 pm

I need to try this! I don’t have a proper food processer though…Iwonder if it would work with a little magic bullet or a blender?

2 Sofya June 28, 2012 at 1:54 pm

You bet it works with a jar blender. Just add 1/2 of the cream to the blender with berries and sugar in step one. I don’t think this would be easy with an immersion one though.

3 Tech Sam July 2, 2012 at 5:46 pm

We just made this with frozen blueberries and raspberries. Perfect for these hot hot days in the Midwest.

4 Paulette July 3, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Oh my… Just made this and it is so amazing! Thank you for this!
Paulette recently posted..A food obsession ?My Profile

5 Martha July 20, 2012 at 8:59 am

I have made this using greek yogurt instead of heavy cream and it was delicous! I make it at least once a week! Great treat for summer or anytime. Love your site!

6 Sofya July 20, 2012 at 10:43 am

Yay! Thanks for trying!

7 Irina August 17, 2012 at 1:42 am

Thank you for posting this recipe, Sofya!

My neighbors recently brought delicious home-made ice cream to a barbecue we hosted, and ever since then I’ve been obsessed with the idea of making ice cream myself. However, unlike my neighbors, I don’t own an ice cream maker and don’t plan on getting one. What to do? What to do? Just as I was about to give up on the idea, your recipe came along!

I’ve made this ice cream twice in the past three days, first with blackberries and then with bananas. (I cut down on the sugar for the banana version since they are naturally very sweet, and would probably reduce the sugar content for the blackberry version as well, but that’s just my preference – I like my desserts to be a tad less sweet than the average person). Both versions were great – and even better when combined in one dish and enjoyed side-by-side! My b

8 Sofya August 17, 2012 at 11:07 am

Great! It is actually even creamier with less sugar, when using berries anyhow.

9 Irina August 19, 2012 at 1:58 am

Just made this again, with strawberries – amazingly delicious! You can tell I’m hooked! :) Also shared the recipe with my mom (sent her a link to this post) – she plans on trying it with peaches or nectarines.

10 Sofya August 19, 2012 at 10:37 am

Strawberry is my favorite too. So glad you liked it.