Devil’s Food Brownie Pudding Cake

December 6, 2011

in Chocolate, Desserts, Recipes

With a few exceptions, my entire kitchen philosophy revolves around collecting and creating the kind of recipes that would draw gasps and moans from guests with only a minimal effort on the part of the cook, and this brownie pudding cake fits the bill perfectly.

The name is perhaps a bit misleading, because this dessert is neither a brownie, nor a pudding. Instead, a rich, fluffy chocolate cake “floats” here on top of a gooey, sauce-like bottom layer. It’s truly decadent but also a clinch to make, which is ideal for the situations where you need to feed a large crowd but don’t want to put all of your energy into dessert. Most people would serve it with vanilla ice-cream, but I like my chocolate dark, and need no vanilla-anything to make the most of it.

Here’s the recipe:

This is what your finished cake will look like:

The cake is lovely, dark and deep – serve it warm with vanilla ice-cream or be like me and eat it straight out of the pan. For supper.

1 A of Little Alexander December 6, 2011 at 9:47 am

Mmmm! With everyone posting Christmas cookie recipes, I think I needed a chocolate-and-more-chocolate recipe to rebalance. Thanks!

2 Greta December 6, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Oh gosh, I couldn’t wait to make this! I whipped it up just a bit ago, and my molten bottom wasn’t very thick. Where did I go wrong? I am usually good at following recipes to a “T”; so I am lost where I could have messed this up. Any ideas? Nontheless, it was still DELICIOUS!!!G

3 Sofya December 6, 2011 at 7:18 pm

Mine is not thick either – it’s nothing like an actual pudding. Perhaps it just looks thick in the picture? What you are supposed to have on the bottom is something like a molten sauce. It does get a little thicker as it cools.

4 Greta December 6, 2011 at 7:47 pm

Oh whew thanks! It does look on the thicker side in the photo. Mine wasn’t so thick, but it was definitely molten-hot and rich and lovely. It did thicken a bit now that’s it cooled; but like you said, it’s best served warm! :)

5 Sofya December 6, 2011 at 7:49 pm

The name is misleading – but I didn’t come up with it, to my defense. The reason it looks thicker in the photo I think was because it has cooled down by photo number 100 (not that it helped, but anyway).

6 Greta December 6, 2011 at 9:28 pm

No worries at all. It’s decadent and delicious. I totally recommend it. It’s like chocolate therapy! And, it definitely fulfilled your philosophy of “minimal effort”! I had all the ingredients on hand and whipped it up in no time. Definitely two thumbs up! :-)

7 Sofya December 17, 2011 at 8:31 am

@Greta you know what else I realized I forgot to tell you? The thickness of your bottom layer “sauce/pudding,” whatever you like to call that, will depend on how long you bake it. If you underbake it, you end up with a lot of runny puddingy batter which still tastes of baking soda cause it’s not fully cooked (not great, imo). If you bake it a little longer, you got more of a cake on top and fudge sauce on the bottom. Because I am giving the baking time in this recipe, and because different ovens can bake slightly differently (some not as hot as others regardless of what the thermostat says), you may need to increase the time.

8 Chrissy December 10, 2011 at 10:48 pm

OMGoodness, I just made this tonight for my hubby’s birthday and it was a giant hit. Thanks for sharing, this was an awesome recipe!

9 Sofya December 11, 2011 at 8:11 am

Glad you liked it, Chrissy, thanks for giving it a try.

10 Kendra Bailey Morris December 12, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Holy moly that looks fantastic! Can’t wait to make this.

Kendra
Kendra Bailey Morris recently posted..Rotisserie Chicken Salad RecipeMy Profile

11 Sofya December 12, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Please do, and let me know how it went!

12 Stephanie (@wbhomesteader) September 17, 2012 at 9:31 pm

Yep. I’m coming here the next time I’m meal planning.
Stephanie (@wbhomesteader) recently posted..Fall 2012 Garden Update: I’m Learning!My Profile

13 Sofya December 6, 2011 at 9:30 pm

It really is one of those recipes that calls for the basics. Glad you liked it. I’ve modified this recipe considerably out of a less-than-spectacular version that somehow was handed down in my husband’s family. I am not (originally) American – seems like this is a pretty standard dessert here. Among other fundamental changes, I ditched milk+too much baking powder combo in favor of buttermilk+soda (no off-taste, richer, fluffier texture), upped the cocoa, and upped the butter from 1 1/2 T (which left it tasting chalky) to a whole stick. Therein lies the magic.